Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lesson for 01/26/11 - Park University may be a good transfer school

So yesterday we had a visit from Park University.  I like the fact that they have specific requirements for admission, and that they are close to home.

Park University requires dual specialization for Education graduates.  The two areas I'd become certified in are English and Social Sciences.  That way I can teach History, which I defintiely want to do, but also writing courses, which I think would be great.

One of the things I wanted to do before I transfer anywhere is talk to the professors that I would be learning from.  Park insists on this, and they sent 3 chairpersons in the education department, and their main admissions person to introduce the school and their information.  I was duly impressed.

One thing they did say is that I'm doing the right thing going for the Associates in Education rather than going the certificate route.  It opens a lot more options, and is really necessary if I'm to achieve my ultimate goal.

I still have plenty of time to decide where to go as it will likely take me the Summer plus all of the 2011/2012 school year to finish.  The nice thing is that they have several levels of scholarships from which to choose.  If I graduate with a 3.9 gpa and have 60 hours complete, I could get a free ride for 2.5 years at Park.  The step down from that would be a 3.75 gpa and 45 hours for 75% tuition over 3 years. After this semester I should have a 3.9, but even if I run into trouble I could easily achieve the latter of those two options.  Either way it all sounds very nice.

We'll see what the UMKC pitch is like, but so far, I'm very impressed with Park.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent brother! Keep looking ahead and tweaking your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's is awesome Joe. Something for me to consider too.

    ReplyDelete